- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup wheat bran (or oat bran)
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¾ cup apple butter, no sugar added
- ½ cup low-fat buttermilk (or nonfat plain yogurt)
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 medium apple, chopped (about 1 cup)
- ½ cup chopped pitted prunes
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Prepare twelve muffin cups by lining with muffin papers or coating with spray.
- Combine flour, bran, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl; mix well. Set aside.
- Combine apple butter, buttermilk, and egg whites in a large bowl; mix well.
- Add flour mixture to apple butter mixture; mix until just blended.
- Add apples and prunes; mix until just blended.
- Divide batter among twelve prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown and tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Transfer muffins to rack; cool.
(per serving, 1/12 recipe)
- Calories: 98
- Fat: 1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 164 mg
- Carbohydrate: 22 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Sugar: 7 g
- Protein: 4 g