- 1 tsp dark sesame oil or canola oil
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh ginger (peeled and minced)q
- 1/2 large onion (sliced)
- 4 oz top round or other stew meat (thinly sliced)
- 4 oz broccoli flowerets
- 1 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1/2 tsp Chinese or Dijon mustard
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 3/4 tsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp cold water
Place the sesame oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the ginger and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions begin to soften.
Add the beef and cook for about 3 minutes until lightly browned. Reduce the heat to medium and add the broccoli and toss well. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Add the hoisin sauce, mustard and pepper and stir well. Cover and cook for another 5 minutes tossing a few times.
Add the chicken stock and toss.
Stir the cornstarch into the cold water until dissolved and then add the mixture to the pan. Remove from the heat and stir well. Serve over brown rice.