- 1 cup Fiber One Original bran cereal
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp. each salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute
- 1 large eggplant, ends removed
- 1 cup canned tomato sauce with Italian seasonings
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat Parmesan-style grated topping
- Optional seasonings: dried basil, oregano
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
In a blender or food processor, grind cereal into crumbs. Transfer to a very wide bowl and mix in seasonings.
Place egg substitute in another very wide bowl.
Cut eggplant lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices. Pat dry. One at a time, dunk eggplant slices in the egg substitute, shake to remove excess, and coat with crumbs. Evenly lay slices on the baking sheet.
Bake for 30 minutes. Flip slices. Bake until crispy, about 10 minutes. Remove sheet, but leave the oven on.
Spray an 8-inch by an 8-inch baking pan with nonstick spray. Spread 1/4 cup sauce along the bottom, and evenly top with half of the eggplant slices.
Continue to layer ingredients in this order: 1/4 cup sauce, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, 2 tbsp. Parm-style topping, 1/4 cup sauce, remaining eggplant slices, remaining 1/4 cup sauce, remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, and remaining 2 tbsp. Parm-style topping.
Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes, or until hot. Devour!
(per serving, 1/4 recipe)
- Calories: 213
- Fat: 7.5 g
- Sodium: 811 mg
- Carbs: 30 g
- Fiber: 13 g
- Sugars: 6.5 g
- Protein: 15 g