- 1 cup (250 ml) Milk
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) cornstarch
- 2 tsp (10 ml) grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) liquid honey
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) hot pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter, divided
- 1 lb (500 g) boneless beef grilling steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 onion, cut in half and sliced
- 6 cups (1.5 l) broccoli pieces (1 lb/500 g)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) grated fresh ginger root, (or 1 tsp/5 mL ground)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- In a bowl, whisk a little of the Milk into cornstarch to make a smooth paste. Whisk in remaining Milk, lemon zest, soy sauce, honey and hot pepper flakes; set aside.
- Heat a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add half of the butter and swirl to coat. Add beef and stir-fry for 3 min or until browned; transfer to a bowl. Add remaining butter to pan then onion and stir-fry for 1 min. Add broccoli and ginger and stir-fry for 3 min or until onion is tender. Return beef and accumulated juices to pan.
- Whisk Milk mixture and pour into pan. Cook, stirring and scraping up brown bits, for about 2 min or until thickened. Stir in lemon juice.
Makes 4 servings.