- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 8 oz. shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. red chili paste (like sambal oelek)
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper
- ½ cup canned sliced bamboo shoots
- ¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 4 cups low-sodium organic vegetable broth
- 14 oz. firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 6 fresh cilantro sprigs, leaves removed, stems discarded
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, chili paste, red pepper, and bamboo shoots; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add soy sauce and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; gently boil, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Add tofu; cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Combine vinegar and cornstarch in a small bowl; mix until smooth.
- Add cornstarch mixture to soup; cook, stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until soup thickens. Remove from heat.
- Slowly add egg to soup, stirring constantly, so that egg cooks and forms threads.
- Evenly divide soup between 6 serving bowls; garnish with cilantro.
(per serving, 1/6 recipe, 1 ½ cups)
- Calories: 140
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 31 mg
- Sodium: 473 mg
- Carbohydrate: 12 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Sugar: 4 g
- Protein: 9 g