- 1/8 cup low-fat milk, warm
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 5 oz medium russet potatoes, peeled, cut into cubes
- Dash sea salt
- 3 oz fresh kale, large ribs removed, torn into large pieces
- 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
- Heat milk and green onions in small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil. Turn off heat. Set aside.
- Place potatoes in medium saucepan. Cover with water. Add ¼ tsp. salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook for 15 to 25 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat.
- While potatoes are cooking, boil water in steamer or large saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high. Place kale in steamer basket; cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until tender-crisp and bright green. Place in ice water bath to stop cooking process.
- Drain water from potatoes. Return potatoes to heat. Gradually add milk mixture, mashing potatoes as milk is added; cook over low heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Drain water from kale; squeeze out excess water. Finely chop kale with a knife or in a food processor.
- Add kale and oil to potatoes; mix until fluffy.
- Season with salt and pepper (if desired).
- Serve warm.
- Calories: 196
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 2 mg
- Sodium: 261 mg
- Carbohydrate: 33 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Sugar: 4 g
- Protein: 6 g