- 1.5 oz. dry whole wheat pasta
- 1/4 tsp. olive oil
- 1/8 medium yellow (or orange) bell pepper, chopped
- 1/8 medium onion, chopped
- 2 oz. Italian-style turkey sausage, chopped
- 1/4 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Sea salt and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
- 1/8 cup low-sodium, organic fat-free chicken broth
- 1/4 bunch kale, ribs removed, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 tsp. shredded Parmesan cheese (to taste; optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat.
- Add oil, bell pepper, and onion. Cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until onions are translucent.
- Add sausage and garlic, Season with salt and pepper if desired; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 7 minutes, or until sausage starts to brown.
- Add broth and kale. Cook, stirring occasionally, adding additional broth or water as needed, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until kale is soft.
- Add pasta to sausage mixture.
- Top with cheese if desired.
- Calories: 321
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 43 mg
- Sodium: 509 mg
- Carbohydrate: 43 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Sugar: 1 g
- Protein: 23 g